Everywhere in Exile

Politics and life in general from a Canadian, gay, Jewish, left-wing, vegetarian, defence-hawk perspective.

Name:
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

The summary above tells you something about who I am. I should be up-front and let you know that I'm a very bad homosexual. I know nothing of fashion or brand names and I get $10 haircuts. I have a hairy back and loathe musical theatre. But I really, really enjoy sex with men.

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Avadim Ha'inu, Ata B'nei Horin

Pesach (Passover) begins tonight.

Every year at the Pesach seder table, participants read and sing from the Haggadah, a step-by-step guide to the food- and wine-heavy religious service that launches the holiday. The text is full of tales, songs and prayers, and everyone plays a part in the evening program. The holiday commemorates the Israelites' dash to freedom after hundreds of years of slavery in Egypt, as recounted in the biblical book of Exodus.

The significance of the holiday extends beyond these unique historical circumstances, however. Each seder participant is reminded to approach the holiday as if they themselves had been freed from slavery, to experience the joy of freedom and to help others attain it. Each generation redefines freedom through the prism of its own experiences, but the basic message remains the same.

You and I define freedom differently, in all likelihood. And each of us struggles against oppression in our own way, whether it comes from within or without. When I think of my own quest for freedom, the primary themes are gay rights, the fight against racism, and more recently, animal rights.

It won't surprise most of you who know me that my fight for freedom has often been in-your-face, whether it was confronting an Aryan Nations stealth candidate for Calgary city council at a public debate, going 'undercover' to a racist gathering to record the proceedings and gather literature as evidence, or writing incendiary letters to newspapers about an MP's bigotfest of a town hall meeting, where I spoke up, along with others, against what the hosts were doing.

Just as difficult are the internal battles for freedom, like when I confront my own internalized homophobia and my not inconsiderable racist feelings, not to mention more painful struggles arising from personal hurt, both inflicted and received.

Even if you don't celebrate the holiday, give a thought to freedom today - what it means to you, where you've come from, and where you'd like to go. And maybe even write back and tell me what all of this means to you.

Oh, and the title? They're the opening words from one of the songs in the Haggadah: "Once we were slaves, but now we are free."

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great post. It inspired me to think about some of the issues I struggled with while growing up. Believe it or not ageism, not sexism, was high on that list. At least in my mind it was. And while I have been very, very active with a number of causes and issues over the years, perhaps the last two years have been more focused on my own internal battles.

Thank you for helpinmg me to stop and think about what freedom means to me. I really am blessed to have the life I have and the freedom I have. Happy passover!

Thu Apr 13, 08:13:00 AM MDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You gave me goosebumps. Love the blog.
I like to think that I am one that appreciates my freedom on a fairly regular basis. (Major reason for being so hardcore patriotic)But really no Canadian can ever really appreciate how great we do have it. While its important for people such as "Exile" to push even further for equality, fundamental rights, etc. in Canada, we must at the same time realize that being Canadian means living better then most everybody else on the planet.
I also realize that I've had a near perfect family, upbringing, and life so far. I try hard not to take it for granted, but I do need to be reminded from time to time. Thank you Exile, and the next time you hear me complaining feel free to throw this in my face.

Thu Apr 13, 10:15:00 AM MDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very inspiring. I have been struggling to free myself from some very bad habits recently. Perhaps I can, with reflection and determination, succeed.

Bottom line, though, is that we who live here are extremely fortunate. I'm glad you reminded me of that.

Enjoy your Passover, my friend.

Thu Apr 13, 04:25:00 PM MDT  
Blogger Exile said...

Thank you very much for your comments, Wendy, Corina and Audrey. Eloquent and thoughtful, as each of you tends to be.

Wendy, yes, you really do have a very good life, and I know what a struggle it's been for you to attain everything you have.

Corina, I agree. It struck me as silly when I came back from Israel the pettiness that can dominate Canadian political and social life. We are very fortunate to live here, as you said. My main concern in this country is that the benefits spread to all corners of our society, and that includes animals.

Audrey, yes, I know you've also gone through a lot, but you carry it so well. I hope you enjoy your holiday as well.

Fri Apr 14, 09:03:00 AM MDT  
Blogger thephoenixnyc said...

That was a beautiful summation/recounting of the Passover seder.

I was lucky enough to spend Wednesday night some close friends at their sdder, its a great holiday.

A great message is to "free your mind and your body and soul will follow."

Fri Apr 14, 02:02:00 PM MDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the blog (not that I haven't enjoyed the others).

I've been very fortunate to lead what I beleive is a very blessed life; most of my struggles for freedom have been internal and often brought on by my own choices. My heart and body ache when I think of how others have not had the simple freedoms I've enjoyed.

Whether we suffer internally or externally, these moments make up the people we become over time. I am a firm believer that it is our reaction to an event that determines our character and not the situation in which we find ourselves. I realize that's easy for me to say given where and when I live, but history is full of people who have survived, with dignity and grace, terrible attacks on their freedom. The fact that you, Exile, acknowledge your fears and strive to free yourself from them proves I'm right about you. Beneath the "in your face" attitude is a soft spot easily missed by those who don't take the time to see it. I'm just glad I got to see it.

Have a wonderful time in Van.

Fri Apr 14, 10:11:00 PM MDT  
Blogger Exile said...

Thank you very much for your comment, misorganized. I agree with your graceful and elegant words, in particular your comment that our character is determined and revealed by how we react to adversity.

And yes, it is very inspiring to read the many stories of how people have fought for freedom, for themselves and for others. It always raises questions for me of how I would fare given the odds many other people have faced - I'm sure I'm not alone in pondering that.

But at the same time we have to celebrate the struggles we do take on and recognize how far we've come. This is all sounding very cliche of me but I think it's a valuable exercise that we go through on Passover during other commemorations.

I did have a wonderful time in Van - thank you.

Tue Apr 18, 08:45:00 PM MDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home